Maybe you think it will take you hours to build a chatbot, and you plan to delay the following week. Or … Maybe you need a simple guide to help you get started 🙃. This article will tell you the steps to fulfill to write your chatbot conversation scenarios quickly.
1. Define your audience
Ask yourself and answer to those questions:
- Who are your customers/users?
- How did they land to your website/full-page chatbot?
- What are their problems, needs and goals?
- How do they try to solve these problems and achieve their goals?
- What kinds of situations trigger these problems, needs and goals?
- How do they talk to you?
With your answers, you can define the customer/user journey of your most essential personas and build the best chatbot conversation.
2. Set a clear goal to your chatbot conversation
Start by listing scenarios (use cases) in which users would find the chatbot useful.
Will you get the most out of your chatbot conversation when used as a lead qualification tool, shopping assistant or for customer support?
3. Choose your chatbot character
This character is an extension of your brand and has to be capable of connecting with your target audience.
Think about every bullet below when building your chatbot conversation:
- Representation/Aspect (You, your brand itself? Avoid robot images, it doesn’t make it very serious, except if it’s the purpose 🙃 )
- Tone (confident, joyful, friendly?)
- Personality (funny, competent, compassionate?)
- Level of politeness
4. Outline chatbot conversation flow
First, you have to focus on what your chatbot has to say and ask. You can tune the linguistic and conversational nuances later.
Write down the questions in a logical sequence with all possible answers and follow-ups to those answers.
This way, you are likely to identify missing paths and dead ends and add them to ensure that the chatbot conversation sounds natural no matter what path the user takes.
Logic jumps (to create different paths under conditions) and loops (to go back to a previous element of conversation) will give you all flexibility you need.
5. Write your script
Once the flow diagram is in place, expand and perfect your wording.
Don’t forget to try your chatbot with the preview button and read the dialogue aloud.
Happy building! 👋